Thursday, May 29, 2014

Make Your Bed

My new life hack to start my day on the right foot: make my bed.

Perfectly.

Even when the day is going to be hectic or I don't feel like making it.

Particularly when the day is going to be hectic or I don't feel like making it.

At first, I didn't realize why making my bed seemed to be correlated with having better, more productive days; I just chalked it up to a snowball effect of sorts, completing one task just leads to completing other tasks. 

However, after reading Delivering Happiness, I feel like it is even deeper than that. In Delivering Happiness, Tony Hsieh(CEO of Zappos and all-around badass) lays out his framework for happiness: perceived control, perceived progress, connectedness and being part of something bigger than yourself. 

While making your bed will likely never connect you with others or be part of some grand scheme in life, it definitely meets the perceived control(you can make your bed however you want) and perceived progress(making it faster or perfect-er).

Start your day off right, make your bed.

(Oh and if you want more about the awesomeness of making your bed, check out this University of Texas commencement speech.)

No comments:

Post a Comment