Monday, May 19, 2014

Readings of 2014, April Edition, Part 3

The Money Code by Joe John Duran:

I feel most people(myself included) can always learn more about money. I have read a few books on money in the past, but they seemed to either be about how to save more money or how to make more money. None of them really dug into to the psychological reasons for why we want money in the first place.

Until I read this book.

Duran proposes that everybody seeks money for varying degrees of the three reasons:
    1) To provide a sense of security.
    2) To obtain things that they want.
    3) To provide for others.

He proposes that until we look within ourselves to figure out where we fit in in the above 3 types, and translate those to tangible goals, quantifying how much money we actually need, we will forever be stuck feeling like we don't have enough money.

I would highly recommend reading this book to anybody even slightly confused by the role that money plays in their life. It is an extremely quick read, most could probably read it over a few cups of coffee.

The Twitter Book by Tim O'Reilly and Sarah Milstein:

Not unlike money, Twitter is a tool that I never felt totally comfortable using, always feeling like others are using it much more effectively than I.

Maybe, I was using it wrong.

Maybe, I wasn't fitting enough wit into those 140 characters.

So, I figured I would give this book a read and see if I could get to the bottom of it.

Unfortunately, the book was a tad bit out of date so most of the stuff I either knew(how to use hashtags) or behind the times(suggested third party twitter apps, and need to use metacharacters for retweeting).

It was a pretty quick read, so I didn't feel like I wasted much time reading through it, but I don't think I would suggest it.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll take a look at the money code myself. Just as an anecdote, from what I see, people can also like money for the sake of chasing a big number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maos! He actually addressed that in a roundabout way in the book... I believe it was something along the lines of if you are just chasing money for money's sake, then you will never feel like you have enough.

    ReplyDelete