Thursday, January 16, 2014

Batman's jump

Token philosophical old guy: "You do not fear death. You think it makes you strong. It makes you weak."
Batman: "Why?"
Token philosophical old guy: "How can you move faster than possible, fight longer than possible without the most powerful impulse of the spirit: the fear of death."
Batman: "I do fear death. I fear dying in here, while my city burns, and there's no one there to save it."
Token philosophical old guy: "Then make the climb."
Batman: "How?"
Token philosophical old guy: "As the child did. Without the rope. Then fear will find you again."

I started Fitsby in college, while having an internship(and later full-time position) at Qualcomm to lean back on. My main priority was definitely Fitsby, but I knew I had backup plans, so I probably didn't work as hard as I could have to get through some of the setbacks we had as a team; I wasn't afraid of Fitsby dieing.

I know there are many people out there who recommend bootstrapping a company off of your current job, but I beg to differ. If you want to "move faster than possible, fight longer than possible"(which is essential if you plan on making awesome shit) you have to tie yourself to your project; if it dies, you die.

So next time you start something, do it without the rope.

(One of my Fitsby co-founders and friend, Kevin Yun, is doing just that with his current endeavor, The Designation... and the results speak for themselves)

No comments:

Post a Comment