Friday, January 17, 2014

Nothing Else Matters

No, not the Metallica song. Although, that is a rather great piece of music.

I am talking about the feeling where you become consumed by the present, when indeed nothing else matters. Many people have their own word for it; Dave Tate calls it The Void in a powerlifting context and Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls it Flow from a psychology standpoint. However, Vin Diesel's soliloquy from the original Fast and the Furious states it most elegantly:

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."

If other stuff matters(most of the time) while you are in your current endeavor, whether it be in the pursuit of a major, job or a relationship, then it is a sign that that isn't where you need to be. Don't be afraid to quit, and try something else, until, indeed, Nothing Else Matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment