Thursday, April 24, 2014

Choices

Ham or bacon(or sausage or steak or ...)?

Vanilla or chocolate(or twix or chocolate waffle cone or ...)?

Apple or Samsung(or HTC or Sony or ...)?

Pre-med or Engineering(or Philosophy or Underwater Basket-weaving or ...)?

Our choices are seemingly endless, essentially paralyzing our decision making from sheer information overload.

I saw a recent episode of The Big Bang Theory, where Sheldon Cooper demonstrated exactly this... and he only have to choose between 2 items: the Xbox One or the PS4. A tough decision indeed.

Fortunately, all that competition to be the best has created a vast surplus of things that are good enough. Any smart phone we get will be able to make calls, send world-class selfies, and run candy crush until our fingers bleed. Any car we purchase will get us from point a to point b, have decent gas mileage and probably not spontaneously combust.

We(I am definitely guilty of this!) all need to learn to take less time on decisions where good enough will suffice so we can spend time on making the choices that truly matter: what am I looking for in a partner, where do I want to live, what do I want to do for a career, and who do I want to spend my limited time with. 

Oh, and Xbox One or PS4.

No comments:

Post a Comment