Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Best Piece of Advice I Ever Received

Back in the Summer of 2012, I was an intern at Qualcomm's Boulder office. My internship was almost over, so I put some time on my calendar to go chat with some of Senior-Staff/Director level folks who had been around for a while, to get a feel for their experience throughout their years with the company.

One chat really stuck out in my mind. That chat was with my team lead, Tim. Tim was a Senior-Staff manager who had been around as long as, if not longer, than the Directors at the Boulder office.

During our chat, he seemed particularly animated about one decision that could have put him at a much higher level. Midway through his career at Qualcomm, he got approached to switch teams from his current team(the first team he led) to a brand new, promising yet experimental team.

He was comfortable with his current team, so he decided to stay there.

That new team now makes up the majority of the current business.

His piece of advice: "If given the choice, the comfortable choice is usually the wrong one."

6 comments: