Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Contextual Lessons

As a Computer Engineer student, the notion of adding redundancy to systems was harped upon us almost daily. We became pros at making systems as fail-proof as possible.

Sidestep to other areas of life, namely setting my alarm clock. My alarm clock has failed me on numerous occasions, seemingly always when I have an early flight or day of work to attend to. The most recent occurrence was for a 6 am flight leaving La Guardia; I set my alarm for 3:30, and didn't realized I had slept through it until 5:15 am.

There are numerous reasons for failure of an alarm clock to accomplish its intended job: power outage, mixing am and pm, setting it for the wrong time or day, forgetting to enable the alarm, and simply sleeping through it.

It would be logical to assume that I would instinctively set multiple alarms, seeing as redundancy was so deeply engrained into me, yet I never contextually connected the two until my most recent failed alarm attempt.

Lessons in particular area usually applicable to many other areas of life, but aren't obvious. In my case, I feel particular oblivious to them, until they hit me over head multiple times.

At least I have finally learned to set multiple alarms.

No comments:

Post a Comment